Thursday, February 11, 2010

To foster parents...

I just want to say that I personally feel so BADLY that at least on my caseload of 23 cases and no telling how many children, that I never EVER seem to have enough time to devote to them and my "children" that they deserve.

I obviously can't keep up with the pace I met yesterday, but somehow I still manage to put in at least ten hours a day and hope it's enough. What is it about the system that makes judges, community partners, parents, etc think that because we're the social worker, we can do EVERY thing. And maybe I just need to vent, but we have approximately 20 work days in a month. I'd say I spend five of those in court.... ALL day.

So that leaves about 15 working days to do about 44 home visits, answer endless phone calls and emails (usually bitching about something you just haven't had time to do)... write court reports, supervise visitation, transport, make referrals... meet with the community partners of all the referrals you made (MONTHLY)... Go to therapy and/or mediation with your families because they can NEVER get along for some reason... do case plans, assessments, document every single contact you have. Initiate, investigate, terminate, ... All kinds of crap I'm not even listing, get cussed on at least a weekly basis, and expect you to  it all with a smile? I'm obviously tired tonight. I'm working on a spreadsheet so I can TRY to keep up with myself. I'm doing home visits on Saturdays this month because I can't even get to them without staying out until 9 pm every night. Oh and don't forget TRAINING.... and there's just not ENOUGH of me.

But I'm still here. Even if I never do laundry, grocery shop, sweep, mop, wash my car, etc. I KNOW it's worth it. I believe in the power of CHANGE. I just think that we should be allowed to carry reasonable case loads so that we can SERVE.

And I think I'm going to go to school full time next year? I am Crazy!!

Ok. Thanks for the bitch session... Therapy is over LoL.

5 comments:

Rachie317 said...

Oh my - you said it sister! My caseload was never even that high but I still felt the demands ALL THE TIME. Keep your chin up - you may not be able to "do it all" but you will do what you can!

Babs said...

Lol Thanks! I have about half my case load typed up in manageable info. I'll finish it up Sunday :) Hopefully that will help!

Kelly said...

I absolutely do not know how social workers do all they do. I make a special effort to thank my social worker at least twice a month for the great job she does and dedication to her work. She is amazing!! You all are amazing and I can't thank you enough for what you are doing for these kids. I couldn't be a social worker. Nope. Not me but I am so thankful for those of you that can be and are. Thank you and hang in there.

LK said...

Oh you poor thing.

Babs said...

Gosh LK, Bitter much?